"If there’s a world here in a hundred years, it’s going to be saved by tens of millions of little things. The powers-that-be can break up any big thing they want. They can corrupt it or co-opt it from the inside, or they can attack it from the outside. But what are they going to do about 10 million little things? They break up two of them, and three more like them spring up!"
- Pete Seeger, in YES! Magazine

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Faceplant First Responder

A snow skiing vacation is JUST the place to be if you want opportunities for charitable deeds to jump into your lap.

The project: Provide aid to accident victim.

While pausing at the intersection of two runs awaiting one of my girls come off the easier of the two, my attention turned up the steeper run. There I saw a little girl, younger than my own, heading downhill at an increasing rate of speed, her skis wedged in pizza formation, but her legs not strong enough to hold the edge. As she raced toward her brother, she yelled his name frantically before narrowly missing him.

Then she was headed toward me.

Should I move? The options raced through my mind: If she hits me, it's going to smart. If she doesn't hit me, she'll hit the trees behind me, which'll be far worse for her. And if we're both lucky she'll manage a turn.

I started yelling, "Turn! Turn! Turn!" She tried. She managed to turn just enough to avoid me and the tree, but crossed the tips of her skis in the process and, in a flash, lost a ski and smashed, face first, onto the hard-packed snow.

As my own daughter reached the intersection, I raced forward to check on the girl who was slowly pushing herself off the ground only to display two missing front teeth! What a relief it was to find these were not the victims of this accident, but previously lost as a natural part of human development!

Time:
5 minutes including her dad's scramble to the spot, and her rapid ascent into his arms.

Why bother?
Sometimes I think this section might be unneeded. I like to think THIS is one of those times.

Worth it?
I was so glad I could be there for her immediately. She was very frightened and had the wind knocked out of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's a free country. Exercise your right to free speech here -->