"If there’s a world here in a hundred years, it’s going to be saved by tens of millions of little things. The powers-that-be can break up any big thing they want. They can corrupt it or co-opt it from the inside, or they can attack it from the outside. But what are they going to do about 10 million little things? They break up two of them, and three more like them spring up!"
- Pete Seeger, in YES! Magazine

Monday, February 2, 2009

Beginner Skier on Advanced Slope

Sometimes it takes a good hard look at the situation to find a good deed, a way to contribute. Some deeds leap out, beg to be part of your life, won't take "no" for an answer.

The project:Help a skier make it down the slope.

While taking a final run down the "big hill" with the older daughter, we came upon Laurie. Laurie said she'd skied before, years before, and felt ready to tackle the mountain again. Unfortunately, she didn't know the mountain, didn't have anyone along to help her or guide her, and didn't have the skill to make it down the mountain with relative ease (or even a great struggle). I found her struggling to put her skis back on after a fall on a steep, icy, narrow path that connects the lift with the "beginner" descent. I helped her get her skis back on, back on her feet and pointed in the right direction. Fifteen feet later she was on the ground again.

While helping her strap in again, I discovered the bindings on her rented skis were not properly set for her rented boots. The bindings were MUCH too large for the boots, so there was no way she could get proper click into place! I didn't have any tools with me, nor the expertise to set them exactly, so I helped her snap in again, then headed down the hill for help.

Laurie may have made it down the mountain on her own eventually, but it wasn't going to be a fun trip. And Laurie wasn't a youngster, so I was worried about this stranger's potential for injury, particularly on these hard, slick runs. I hope she enjoyed her ride down with the Ski Patrol - or at least a good binding adjustment before her final descent.

Time:
20 minutes

Why bother?
This woman was really struggling, and on her own, as the day drew on. The lift had just closed and I was worried she'd be lost in the trees or injured on the slopes.

Worth it?
For my own peace of mind, yes. For a lesson in kindness for my daughter, who stood by patiently in the cold as she watched me try to help this woman, absolutely. For Laurie? I certainly hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's a free country. Exercise your right to free speech here -->