"If there’s a world here in a hundred years, it’s going to be saved by tens of millions of little things. The powers-that-be can break up any big thing they want. They can corrupt it or co-opt it from the inside, or they can attack it from the outside. But what are they going to do about 10 million little things? They break up two of them, and three more like them spring up!"
- Pete Seeger, in YES! Magazine

Thursday, February 5, 2009

A Kinder Manner of Ski Removal

Yesterday's deed was a matter of course. Today's deed was a matter of paying attention.

The project: Help a youngster with his skis.

While watching our girls play in the snow after a long day of skiing, I noticed a young boy standing nearby, but I didn't register that he was standing with one ski on and the other off. He was very patient. Finally, his dad slid in and the boy called out, "I can't get my other ski off." The dad was at a disadvantage, still in his own ski gear, uphill and trying to catch the eye of another member of their party. I jumped up, feeling like a dolt for failing to notice his predicament, and helped him get out of the broken binding.

Time:
15 seconds max.

Why bother?
It was easy for me to reach the binding, and since I was already in "street shoes," easier for me to reach the boy.

Worth it?
Yes, though there was a bit of a forehead-slapping factor on my part for failing to notice WHY the boy stood so still for so long without saying a word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's a free country. Exercise your right to free speech here -->