"If there’s a world here in a hundred years, it’s going to be saved by tens of millions of little things. The powers-that-be can break up any big thing they want. They can corrupt it or co-opt it from the inside, or they can attack it from the outside. But what are they going to do about 10 million little things? They break up two of them, and three more like them spring up!"
- Pete Seeger, in YES! Magazine

Thursday, March 26, 2009

We Are Not Alone: Other Deed Doers in the Blogosphere

Isn't it strange how once an idea, thought, name finds its way into your mind, the mental radar expands? You meet a young lady named "Siobhan," a name that intrigues and is certainly unique outside of Ireland. Suddenly you're made aware of a dozen Siobhans and Siobhanas who buzz in and out of your life - maybe it's the cashier at the store, and a nurse, and a teacher, a new friend, a stranger. They're all there. They've been there. Your friends move to Papua New Guinea, previously only an island on a map on a geography exam, and suddenly PNG news is popping up in the local paper, images on the 'net, animals at the zoo. The radar has registered new matter to track.

Such is the case with Charitable Deeds. For years I've said, "There's no such thing as an original thought." Yet I continue to come up with ideas which, through my arrogance, I hope to be original to me. Take this blog, for example. I hadn't seen anything like it. I'd even LOOKED for blogs or websites like it before starting. Today, while updating my own blog link references, I came across four other blogs based on the same premise!

Here are the related blogs I found this morning. I'll turn to them for inspiration and ideas when picking up trash and opening doors just won't do the trick for me.

365 Days of Goodness

Good Deed A Day Weblog

One Good Deed Per Day

One Good Deed A Day

And variations, but close enough:

1,000 Mitzvahs

Spread Change

There are probably others. If you find them, please send them my way so I can post them here for posterity - and public use.

2 comments:

  1. I found your blog from my friend Ally's blog at 365 Days of Goodness. I am also a fellow mom and love your blog. I began one that is also in the same vein after my father died. I am celebrating my 1000 mitzvah - or act of kindness in his memory. Can I add your blog to mine?

    Thanks for the great ideas. Together we can impact our families and our communities.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found me, Linda! As you can see, I've added YOUR blog link here. I'd be honored to be added to your blog, too. What a beautiful thing you've done in honor of your dad, who sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

It's a free country. Exercise your right to free speech here -->