"If there’s a world here in a hundred years, it’s going to be saved by tens of millions of little things. The powers-that-be can break up any big thing they want. They can corrupt it or co-opt it from the inside, or they can attack it from the outside. But what are they going to do about 10 million little things? They break up two of them, and three more like them spring up!"
- Pete Seeger, in YES! Magazine

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Rescue Two Dogs

The project:
Gather two old dogs and take them to the safety of the local shelter.

Time:
30 minutes

Why bother?
As I was driving home from errands this morning, these two old dogs galloping along the sidewalk swerved into the street in front of me. I stopped as quickly as I could, but one dog didn't emerge immediately. When I opened the door, he was there like a good hitchhiker.

The dogs were friendly, old, exhausted. I invited them in. They were happy to oblige (with a little help for the squat Basset Hound), and with nowhere to keep them and NO TAGS ON EITHER DOG, I opted to take them straight to our local shelter where they'll be safer than running into traffic on a busy four-lane thoroughfare (or the freeway just a bit further down the road they were traveling).

Worth it?
Yes. The dogs were friendly. They'll make great pets. If their owners fail to pick them up, I'm sure these two will find nice new homes. And I hate the thought of dead animals in the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's a free country. Exercise your right to free speech here -->