"If there’s a world here in a hundred years, it’s going to be saved by tens of millions of little things. The powers-that-be can break up any big thing they want. They can corrupt it or co-opt it from the inside, or they can attack it from the outside. But what are they going to do about 10 million little things? They break up two of them, and three more like them spring up!"
- Pete Seeger, in YES! Magazine

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Mr. B Steps In: Printer Installation on the Sly

The project:
Mr. B voluntarily installed my new printer while I was away from the house.

Time:
30 minutes

Why bother?
To give me a hand.

So, there I was printing away on the printer that had given me NO PROBLEMS in the three years since I bought it. I've put a LOT of paper and ink through that bad boy. Not even a glitch. Then, click, grind, rip, shred.

And complete silence.

The printer ate itself alive with the paper jam to end all paper jams.

Surely, I thought, this can be fixed! Mr. B suggested I simply buy a new one, but that seemed so WASTEFUL. Plus, it was a great printer 'til the jam! If I could have it repaired...

Even the repair man wasn't interested. He told me I'd be better off buying a new one.

So I did, but I put off installing it because, while computers allegedly make our lives easier, I find they take up a LOT of our time. I wasn't ready to spend an hour plugging in then trouble shooting the printer.

While the girls and I were out selling books this evening, Mr. B unwrapped that bad boy, installed it and (almost) had it ready for me when we arrived home.

Worth it?
I was certainly grateful, so, yeah! :)

Photo courtesy Corey Holmes under Creative Commons License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's a free country. Exercise your right to free speech here -->