"If there’s a world here in a hundred years, it’s going to be saved by tens of millions of little things. The powers-that-be can break up any big thing they want. They can corrupt it or co-opt it from the inside, or they can attack it from the outside. But what are they going to do about 10 million little things? They break up two of them, and three more like them spring up!"
- Pete Seeger, in YES! Magazine

Friday, July 24, 2009

No good deed goes unpunished?

Or so the saying goes. That's a bit how I'm feeling tonight about my July 16 pool recycling project. I felt great about spend 30 minutes tearing this pool into bits and pieces that would fit in our recycling bin. It had a tear in the bottom, and as brittle as the plastic was, seemed irreparable. (I still maintain that it was.)

I figured I'd recycle that one, then find a new pool for the kids. (I know...plastic bad. But the pool lasted us several years before it was recycled, not sent to the giant flotilla of plastic whirling at sea.) WRONG!

It seems there are no hard-plastic pools to be found this year. (OK, I DID find the typical round one that's about 3' across, but with two girls, one of whom is approaching 5', that's just not going to do it.) Our last pool also had a slide, a place to plug in the hose to create a sprinkler attraction (which landed in the pool) and a river/waterway molded along one edge.

I'm super bummed about the loss of pool. But, really, it had to go. :*(

(Strains of "Memories" here.)

1 comment:

  1. I have had a hard time in the past finding the little blue swimming pools to buy. I always keep one full in the backyard for the dog to drink from and play in. He would go crazy with out his water. But when they do get a hole you can not find one to replace it in the middle of the hot summer, so I buy two or three in the very beginning of the warm weather season and keep them stashed in the garage. They do not last but a few months when they are left out in the sun 24/7 full of water. I hope you find one.

    ReplyDelete

It's a free country. Exercise your right to free speech here -->