"If there’s a world here in a hundred years, it’s going to be saved by tens of millions of little things. The powers-that-be can break up any big thing they want. They can corrupt it or co-opt it from the inside, or they can attack it from the outside. But what are they going to do about 10 million little things? They break up two of them, and three more like them spring up!"
- Pete Seeger, in YES! Magazine

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Give Away a Chair

The project:
Put a desk chair out on the curb for first comer.

Time:
Minutes

Why bother?
At my husband's urging, I bought a new desk chair yesterday. Rather than try to sell the older one on Craigslist or in a garage sale, I thought I'd set it out for anyone who might need it. I made a sign, wheeled it out in front of our house and returned inside. An hour later as we left on our morning rounds, the chair was gone.

Worth it?
Yes.

I probably could have made a few bucks if I'd sold it. But I like the idea that someone else picked it up. Maybe someone who needed it and could've used the few bucks they saved. I imagine the big smile they had when they wheeled it home. Maybe it's an upgrade from their awful desk chair, or a box, or no chair at all. Or maybe they'll sell it at their own garage sale - extra bucks for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's a free country. Exercise your right to free speech here -->