"If there’s a world here in a hundred years, it’s going to be saved by tens of millions of little things. The powers-that-be can break up any big thing they want. They can corrupt it or co-opt it from the inside, or they can attack it from the outside. But what are they going to do about 10 million little things? They break up two of them, and three more like them spring up!"
- Pete Seeger, in YES! Magazine

Friday, November 13, 2009

Neighborhood Trash

The project:
Once again, picking up trash in the neighborhood.

Time:
20 minutes

Why bother?
No matter how much we pick up, there always seems to be more, even in our relatively neat neighborhood. I carried a bag with me, took a walk for some exercise, and helped clean up the neighborhood.

As noted in a previous post about cleaning up trash, a study has shown that trashed areas gather not only more trash, but also more graffitti and other vandalism. I like to think I'm helping our neighborhood keep on the bright side by picking up after others.

Worth it?
I suppose - but it's wearing thin. Am I the only one in the neighborhood who gives a hoot? (Does it matter if I am?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's a free country. Exercise your right to free speech here -->