"If there’s a world here in a hundred years, it’s going to be saved by tens of millions of little things. The powers-that-be can break up any big thing they want. They can corrupt it or co-opt it from the inside, or they can attack it from the outside. But what are they going to do about 10 million little things? They break up two of them, and three more like them spring up!"
- Pete Seeger, in YES! Magazine

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Give Away Ballet Slippers and Leotards

The project:
Give away the slippers and leotards our daughters have grown out of - to a complete, random stranger.

Time:
10 minutes

Why bother?
We were in the shoe store grabbing a new pair of tennies to replace the pair I blew out walking with my cousin in Utah a couple of weeks ago. A woman approached me to ask where I'd look locally for ballet shoes (since this store didn't carry them). I asked what size she needed. Turns out they were JUST the sizes of the shoes that were sitting, used, in a box in my garage. I offered them to this visitor. She and her mom (aka Grandma) followed us home, and picked out the things they needed. (I offered the rest up at the girl's ballet school.)

The woman from Oregon was visiting her mom, a resident of nearby Santa Ynez Valley. Her comments included thanks and a laugh and, "This is certainly the most interesting shopping trip I've ever had!"

She asked me, "What do you want for these?" I waved her off, and said, "I'll tell you what. When you're finished, if they're still in decent shape, hand them off to someone else. Or maybe you'll overhear someone else who needs something you have lying around sometime, and you can offer it up."

Worth it?
Yes! I've donated these to the thrift store in past, or sold them at garage sales and such, but they really don't fetch much, and it was super fun to see someone so pleased with the find.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's a free country. Exercise your right to free speech here -->