"If there’s a world here in a hundred years, it’s going to be saved by tens of millions of little things. The powers-that-be can break up any big thing they want. They can corrupt it or co-opt it from the inside, or they can attack it from the outside. But what are they going to do about 10 million little things? They break up two of them, and three more like them spring up!"
- Pete Seeger, in YES! Magazine

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Help a Mom Shop

This entry was posted by Wendy, who's filling in while Jen's on the road. You can read more about my project at Spread Change.
The project:
Help a mom get her weekly shopping done by watching her kids.

Time:
Two to three hours.

Why bother?
Moms lead a busy life. And frugal moms spend a huge amount of time clipping coupons and planning for an entire week (or more) so they can maximize the amount of money they save for the family. When you're trying to get the best bargains it's sometimes hard to concentrate when the little ones keep saying, "Is it time to go? Are we done yet?"

Every now and again, the boys grandma will offer to sit for me while I'm shopping. This helps my husband and I both because I get to do my shopping unfettered and it also leaves my husband free to do a few things he needs to do like work in the yard or just get some well-needed alone time.

Worth it?
Absolutely! The look on the mom's face when she comes beaming in to tell you how great she did on her shopping is well worth the time spent. You've renewed a spirit. And... maybe you'll get something cool and unexpected out of the deal. The last time I went shopping and the kids grandmother watched them and I found a great small roast that was on sale and brought it back for her. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's a free country. Exercise your right to free speech here -->